Four young men died this morning in a fire at an apartment block in Barcelona in which eleven other people have been slightly injured by smoke inhalation.
As reported by local sources, the four dead were around twenty years old, all from Latin America, and were apparently trapped in a spiral of fire and smoke as they tried to flee down the stairs from the fourth floor.
The fire, which has been put out, began at around 0400 hours this morning on the ground floor in the block of flats and the flames and smoke quickly spread to the rest of the block (seven floors) with a so-called “chimney effect”. According to the initial evidence, the fire had originated from a short circuit.
The two occupants of the first floor, a mother and daughter, were able to escape by jumping out the window of their apartment. In contrast, the four young people killed died in the stairwell, where they were trapped by fire and smoke in an attempt to escape down from the fourth floor. It is likely that all four people killed would have died due to smoke inhalation.
In addition, eleven other residents were injured to varying degrees, but none are considered to be serious. The eleven injured had mostly suffered from smoke inhalation and with only one person having any burns. Of those eleven, eight were taken to a hospital for medical attention.